Assay Development Scientist: Biology
Sharp Edge Labs is seeking biologists to join our team of Drug Discovery scientists. You will be part of a small and growing company where everyone’s efforts matter. We work hard, we have fun, we are always asking the killer questions, and we discovery drugs to treat diseases with serious unmet need. Be part of something important, build your science chops in a critical area of disease biology (protein trafficking), and make a difference.
We’re looking for a molecular cell biologist with the following skills
– BS/MS in Biological Sciences
– Experience in mammalian cell culture.
– Experience in modern molecular biology methods (cloning, PCR, Gibson assembly, genome editing).
The ideal candidate will also have :
– Experience creating and manipulating stems cells and primary cells.
– Experience in an industrial lab setting producing data for drug discovery programs a significant plus.
– Familiarity with fluorescence imaging, flow cytometry, immunostaining.
– Enjoy working as part of ad-hoc teams (multiple matrixed teams).
– Be comfortable in an environment of rapid growth, and of small company constraints.
– Be able to give and take constructive criticism.
– Have all modern computer skills and be comfortable using Cloud-based services.
– Strong skills in statistical analysis of biological data to pressure-test quality, validity and significance.
– Be able to write and speak effectively about scientific data with other team members.
– Have watched all of Breaking Bad.
– Have other interests. Interesting people bring useful perspective.
What you’ll be doing:
The job will involves assay development for our internal drug discovery programs. This typically involves cloning and construct generation, viral packaging an/ord transient transfection to validate the FAM fusions. After that, it’s conventional assay development, working on optimizing assay conditions to get a good Z-Prime etc. Detection methods for our assays include flow cytometry, imaging, homogeneous fluorescence, and absorption spectroscopy.
Sharp Edge Labs is located in Pittsburgh’s South Side, and is near to Carnegie Mellon University and University of Pittsburgh. While we are looking to “hire local” we will consider relocation for especially qualified candidates.
email resume to email@example.com, reference: JrBio2017, please also include a link to your LinkedIn profile. If you have another work-related social profile you’d like to share that would be great too.